Monday, February 18, 2013

A Birth Story and Surprise C-Section



Here it is Friday, January 25, around 7:00pm, and I just realized that my last blog post was almost 7 weeks ago…is that really possible? This time I have a really good excuse for not writing in a while…THE TWINS ARE HERE! Yep, they came early!
Baby Girl and Baby Boy were born on Saturday, December 29th at 4:33 and 4:44. Baby Girl was born first and was 4 lbs 3oz and Baby Boy was 4 lbs 13oz. They are perfect in every way and did not have any medical complications; they didn’t even need oxygen!
I wish that I could go back and document in detail what happened in weeks 33 & 34 of my pregnancy (seeing as how my last post was about week 32) but the past 7 weeks have kind of been a blur. I will attempt to give some details that stand out to me. If you all remember, my blood pressure has been high off and on throughout this pregnancy. I also have had bad headaches and upper right side abdominal pain; all indicators of pre eclampsia. I also consistently had strong contractions that began to shorten and dilate my cervix, along with funneling. All of these factors sent me to Labor and Delivery (L&D) about 5 times in the past few months. And every time I would go my blood pressure would either be normal or barely high and all blood tests would come back normal (no pre eclampsia).
This was so frustrating to my husband and I because L&D was an hour away, there was a co-pay every time, and they always sent me home. I began to feel so silly every time my doctor insisted I go in for evaluation. Wednesday of week 34 my blood pressure was still high, then Thursday it was also high and we found out that Baby A (girl) had developed asymmetrical growth restriction which meant that her abdomen had stopped growing in order to deliver all blood to her brain development. This meant that she basically could not grow anymore and her abdomen size was in the 1 percentile. This was not life threatening but it wasn’t particularly good, thus the doctor did not order me to be delivered.
Well, Friday night my blood pressure had shot up to around 142/99 which was super high for me. After being sent home from L&D so many times, my husband and I were leery about driving all the way out to L&D; plus, we both were paranoid that we were taking my blood pressure incorrectly because we kept getting such high results. I was so worried that if I didn’t go to the hospital something bad would happen…but on the other hand I was tired or “crying wolf” and being sent home. We decided that we would wait until morning and go to a pharmacy to have them check my BP, and if it was still high we would drive to L&D.
Saturday morning rolled around, and oh, did I mention that we got a big storm Friday night that was still raging Saturday morning? We went and got my car inspected because my inspection would expire in a few days and then got my BP checked and sure enough it was still high, so off to L&D we went. Of course over a couple of hours at L&D, my BP never exceeded 131/90 and they were going to send me home so they let me have a snack. This whole time my OB had been trying to reach my perinatologist to get Thursday’s report but had been unsuccessful. I finally reached him on my cell phone and told him about my BP being low. He asked if I was sitting up when they took it, I wasn’t, and he said that if I lay down my BP would automatically be lower.
While I was on the phone with him I sat up and the machine took my BP again and sure enough it was really high. My peri then said he would call my OB because he wanted me to be delivered THAT SAME DAY…surprise to us! He didn’t want me to develop pre eclampsia or have any harm come to the babies due to my high BP. Have I mentioned that my husband and I hadn’t even showered yet that day? We thought we would just be coming back home for a lazy Saturday. Since the nurses had allowed me to have a snack my OB said I would have to wait about 4 hours for delivery. My OB informed me that although both babies were head down we would be doing a c section because I was not very dilated and my BP was climbing. Then we had another surprise; my OB apparently changed his mind about the time and was on his way; they immediately took me to the OR and began to prep me for surgery! This really was all a whirlwind. It happened so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment