Friday, February 10, 2012

Embryo Adoption Consult


This past Monday, 2/8/12, my husband and I went to TN to meet with Dr. Keenan and his team about our desire to adopt embryos. One of the main things they do at this first visit is “medically clear” the woman. This involves ultrasounds, some procedure where they check the womb, and various other types of exams where they are taking pictures of the ovaries and uterus, while also measuring the endometrium lining and checking for any scarring or cysts.
Dr. Keenan was great and made the whole process comfortable, although some of the exams themselves hurt. One of the hardest things was going into this with a full bladder! I drank 36oz of water, and apparently my little bladder was too full! Unfortunately, they did not do the procedures first, so I had to sit through my meeting with the Doctor with that painfully full bladder!  :o
The great news is that I AM MEDICALLY CLEARED!! And the Estrogen I have been taking gave me a great thickness to my uterine lining! We then met with the embryologist who explained the process of freezing and thawing embryos, the stages and different types, and the process of choosing the ones we want. There was sooo much information! But it is all so very fascinating! The NEDC has had over 400 successful births through Embryo Adoption J
The not so great news was that they still had not received our home study. I was really hoping they would, however, we cannot get into a transfer cycle until May anyways, so there really is not a rush (can’t believe I just wrote that!).
We did find out that we will not see photos of the donating family (because we are doing a closed adoption), but we do get to know their physical characteristics and bio. So once they receive our home study, we can begin the process of matching! We left the appointment with a lot of information and a lot of prescriptions. I was told to take Prometrium with my Estrogen to start a period, but it has not started yet. They also had me begin to take prenatal vitamins, which is so exciting to me just because it has to do with pregnancy J Between the Estrogen, Prometrium, and prenatal vitamins, I am nauseated, extremely tired, and irritable. Not so fun, even worse for my DH. I just tell him to remember that this is all for our future baby(ies)!
I was also assigned to find a fertility clinic to “monitor” me before and after our embryo transfer. The problem is many clinics will not see you after you have achieved pregnancy. I did find some, but they have mixed reviews. Also, most of it is self-pay so it will be expensive L
So here I am on Friday, preparing to take my midterms (yes already!) and making doctors’ appointments and calling pharmacies, etc…and I cannot stop feeling like May is so far away. I know that it really isn’t, but I am just so excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment