Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Medications galore!


Wow, it really has been awhile since I posted; a lot has been going on! The biggest thing is that I graduated college! So excited about that! In my last post I shared that we finally got to choose our donor family, and we now have 12 embryos waiting for us! We recently found out that the multicell embryos (of which there are 9) and the blastocyst embryos are (of which there are 3) are frozen in many different “straws” which can affect how and the order in which they are thawed.
The embryologist explained that the goal of the NEDC is to produce one healthy pregnancy at a time; not twins, triplets, etc. This means that they will begin by thawing one straw of embryos containing say 3 embryos and based on their post-thaw quality they may have to thaw more. Once thawed, if 2 embryos are of high quality, they will not implant more than those 2 because they are not aiming for multiple births. There is so much science involved and it is so interesting and so gosh darn exciting!
Here it is April 3rd and our transfer is in May! We have been waiting almost 7 years for this; sometimes it seemed it would never come and now the date is so close! Now that we are getting closer to “D Day” the next big step is to begin the medication regimen; yay! I just received my new meds and I will post a photo of them all so you get an idea of what is going on.
So far I know that I will be taking shots of Lupron and Progesteron, Estrogen pills, birth control (for a while), and ginormous prenatal vitamins. The best part (not) was the huge needles I received. My mom did not help when she looked at the length of some of the needles and remarked “those are definitely deep muscle needles.” I see some bruises on the horizon. Although I feel some apprehension about the shots, I look forward to them because starting those meds is a mile marker for me…the down side is the main side effects listed for most of the medications is nausea and diarrhea (can’t wait!)
          Another thing I have to do is locate a fertility clinic in our area that is willing to monitor me. The hard part is finding one who will take you if they are not performing your treatment. I did find a few; the biggest downside is that my insurance does not cover any of this L  I believe I have to have 2 appointments prior to the transfer to check my endometrium lining and do lab work, and then once pregnancy is achieved I have to have 1 more appointment and then I can see my preferred OBGYN.
          So that is where we are; I start these medications sometime after April 15th and then go to our local clinic sometime in early May….and then to TN for our transfer!!




No comments:

Post a Comment