Friday, May 25, 2012

Wow, where does the time go?


In a previous post, I mentioned that I had begun the Lupron injections in my stomach 2x daily; I even posted some photos. Well, fast forward to May 11th; I went for my 2nd pre-transfer ultrasound and blood work and later (much later) that same day the NEDC called and cleared me to begin my 2x daily intramuscular progesterone injections into my hip/buttocks area on May 13th.
Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who does not mind taking the time to give me these 2x daily injections. There is no way I would have been able to do them myself!! We followed the video instructions from our local fertility clinic (not the NEDC) and somehow the first injection hit a nerve in my left buttock area! Ouch! And that region has been painful ever since!! We did not realize that we were too far down and to the right. Now, we are in the correct are, but they are still painful. For a while I could not inject on that left side so we used the right side repeatedly. This is not advised, as you can end up with tissue damage if you do not rotate.
          The right side used to not be painful; however, from excessive injections on that side, it now can be very painful. I think we are now injecting into scar tissue or something like that. The pain after the shot just feels like someone kicked me on the back of my hip with a steel toe boot; a really sore muscle. And true to sore muscle fashion, the pain is worse if the muscle has been at rest. So far, none of them have bled badly and I have had very minor bruising. A few things that I have found to help minimize the pain:
·        Warm the progesterone/oil combo before you inject (under the arm works)
·        Place a warm compress on the injection site for a minute beforehand.
·        For the injection, lay on your stomach and turn your feet in towards each other so that your toes touch and you heels face outward (this releases the buttock muscle)
·        Use a warm compress after the injection to help the oil thin out
·        And definitely move around after each injection!
I really hate to complain because all of this is worth it for our babies! I think I would endure anything for the sake of our babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment