Saturday, November 24, 2012

Week 29: It’s raining Babies!



          I am really going to try (until I forget) to update more regularly. So have I mentioned yet that I know 22 people who are pregnant? Yeah. That is a lot of babies; a lot of hormones; and a lot of parties! It’s raining babies! Two of the pregnant women are close friends that we see all the time, and no, we did not make or plan a baby pact, lol! It has been fun to have so many women around who can understand what I am feeling and experiencing J In the past 2 weeks 3 of the babies have been born; 2 boys and 1 girl. I think I am next in line, but either way, our babies will have plenty of little friends their age to have play dates with.
          I went to see my OB this past week and I finally (4 weeks later) found out the results of my glucose screening test. I DO NOT have gestational diabetes; in fact, my sugar looked good they said. That is honestly a relief because these last few months I have been craving sweets and sometimes they are the only thing that doesn’t make me sick. However, I did find out that I am severely anemic. I wish they had told me this at my last appointment instead of forgetting to tell me. I now have to take 325mg of iron twice a day plus whatever is in my prenatal. I am irritated because I could have been taking the iron supplements for the last month and I may not have felt as bad as I have been feeling.
          According to WebMD symptoms common to many types of anemia include the following:
  • Easy fatigue and loss of energy
  • Unusually rapid heartbeat, particularly with exercise
  • Shortness of breath and headache, particularly with exercise
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Dizziness
  • Pale skin
  • Leg cramps
  • Insomnia
Other symptoms are associated with specific forms of anemia.
Anemia Caused by Iron Deficiency
People with an iron deficiency may experience these symptoms:
  • A hunger for strange substances such as paper, ice, or dirt (a condition called pica)
  • Upward curvature of the nails, referred to as koilonychias
  • Soreness of the mouth with cracks at the corners

So yeah, I have been experiencing all of those except soreness of the mouth. I am hoping that this newfound diagnosis and regimen of iron will help, especially with the insomnia! And speaking of insomnia, any time I tell my regular OB about my trouble sleeping, he says I can take melatonin but not to take it every night. That is the only option he gives me. But this last visit, I saw his nurse practitioner and she told me I could take Tylenol PM or Benadryl to help me sleep. So now I am a little confused and a little frustrated because I want to sleep but I don’t want to harm our little miracles!
     Also this week, I got a call from my endocrinologist’s office saying that the doctor had received my latest blood work (for my thyroid) and that she wanted to see me. I had cancelled the appointment but couldn’t reschedule because she was so booked. So for them to call me and say that the doctor has requested that they “make room for me” because I am pregnant makes me a little nervous. I asked the lady if that meant the results were bad but she didn’t know. My previous results had shown that all of my thyroid levels were back to normal, but who knows what this latest blood work shows.
     Overall I feel pretty good and I know that no matter what test results show, this pregnancy is in God’s hands and they are more than capable! I will not live in fear. So I will see this endocrinologist next week and I will let you all know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment