Monday, November 19, 2012

Weeks 25, 26, 27 & 28: Welcome to the THIRD TRIMESTER



  
          Why are there so many different pregnancy books out there with different authors, opinions, and research? The 2 that I currently read are What to Expect When You are Expecting (most recent revision) and The Mayo Guide’s Clinic to a Healthy PregnancyWhat to Expect says that I am just now entering my 7th month of pregnancy. The Mayo guide says that I about to be in my 8th month of pregnancy and in the 3rd trimester….so which is accurate? The Mayo Clinic is a renowned medical facility with top rated physicians so I think I am going to go by their calculations (not to mention they are the same as MY calculations). Soooo tada! In a few days I will be 29 weeks pregnant, at the threshold of the 8th month.
          So according to the Mayo Clinic and my doctor (finally) I am in the 3rd trimester! What does that mean for me? Of course I expected the 3rd trimester to announce itself in some magical, earthshattering way; alas, the only fanfare announcing its arrival was the worsening of my acid reflux to include waking up with a mouth full of vomit, vomiting on the carpet in my room, sore throat from the acid during the night and just an overall increase in instances of acid induced sickness. Morning nausea did make a comeback this trimester, and I guess exhaustion never really left me. I am having more and more trouble sleeping and some disturbing dreams.
          On the plus side, the shin splints do not seem to happen as often (yay!) and oh yeah, the babies kicks, punches and all movements are much more pronounced now, so that’s fun! I love to watch my belly when they get going; it is kind of like ocean waves. My OB said that my uterus is now all the way up to my ribs so these babies have nowhere to grow except straight out! As of 27 weeks I was measuring in at 35 weeks along, so I guess I am around 36 weeks now. The OB says that at 30 weeks I will be as big as a full term single pregnancy….what will that be like?
          We did have our local baby shower here at the end of October, and it too was beautiful! We had a nice turn out, great food, and generous gifts. God really is using people to bless us. I know that God will not leave a duffle bag of cash on my doorstep, but He sure will/is using people to provide for our twins. The jaw dropping part to me is the number of people we BARELY know who have poured out blessings upon us. That, to me, is God’s handiwork. But I must also say that our family and friends (who let’s face it, are just like family anyways) have abundantly blessed us beyond belief! THANK YOU!
          So as I sit here, 28 ½ weeks pregnant, I realize that our babies will be here between now and 10 weeks from now. WOW. Yes, our babies. It often takes my breath away when I think about the fact that we are about to be parents, to babies, to 2 babies. This couple who was told they could never conceive; this woman who wondered if she would ever feel a baby kick inside her womb…BUT God. A miracle was our only option, and a miracle is what we received.
          As far as changes in our pregnancy over the last few weeks, there haven’t been too many. My belly is definitely larger now, and you can finally see my linea negra, as well as a lovely network of dark blue veins around my belly button (which has completely flattened out and slightly protrudes). The babies seem to be as healthy as always and growing perfectly. They are both at least 2.5 pounds now and measuring on track with where they should be.
           I must admit that I am having more frequent contractions, which I assume are Braxton Hicks contractions. They are slightly painful and happen a lot at night. At first it was hard for me to tell that I was having contractions because I had never felt them before; I guess the biggest clue was the hardening of my belly for about 30 seconds and then it getting soft again. Now, the contractions bring with them a pain that is like having the fullest bladder possible and someone sitting on it. I was a little concerned because of the frequency of the contractions and the fact that sometimes they are close together. However, just this past Monday I had my cervical length checked and it is still 4cm, even under stress. The doctor says that as long as the contractions don’t change my cervix I am fine.
          We started our birthing classes last week and we are really enjoying them and learning a lot. I wish that I had taken these classes before I even got pregnant just to know some of the basics of anatomy! LOL!! Maybe then I would’ve known that my stomach was up by my ribs and not low in my abdomen. *sigh.* The lady who teaches our class is a RN who has been in labor and delivery for 17 years, so she is pretty knowledgeable. She always has very funny stories to tell us; we love it! The teacher also explained to me that my false contractions make me feel like I have a very painfully full bladder because of how low Elliana is in my pelvis. She is basically hanging out on my bladder. When I contract, her little body stiffens on top of my bladder and causes the pain. Needless to say, I am making a lot of bathroom trips lately!

5 comments:

  1. I always measured a good 5+ weeks ahead too. My twins were born at 31w2d due to my severe preeclampsia. They had to stay in the NICU for 4 and 5 weeks, but by God's grace, they are perfectly healthy today. I hope you can make it longer with you twins, but thankfully at 29 weeks, you are out of the "danger zone" so to speak. :)

    P.S. Our blog is www.aaronandjennwilson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much did they weigh at 31w2d? I am so glad to hear that they are doing well! And I will check out your blog :)

      Delete
  2. Abel weighed 3 lbs 10 oz and Belle weighed 3 lbs 1 oz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! An update!
    Hope you are feeling well! You have to add new pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Sorry they are so far and few between :( I will put pictures up when they give me some. We keep getting only one picture of one twin, so hopefully I get some good ones soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete