Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Look Out World…We’re Doubling!


      Before our embryos were ever transferred, me, my husband and my mother-in-law all just knew we were going to have twins…when my pregnancy test lines came up super-fast and really dark, accompanied by high HCG (I thought so) and severe morning sickness, I thought for sure we were having multiples of some sort. Of course I had to play the waiting game until 6 weeks along to find out. 

          So yesterday, 6/11, my husband and I made the 1 ½ hour drive to a fertility clinic to have our first post pregnancy test ultrasound. Right away the doctor found TWINS!!! Oh my! How excited were we? There they were on that black and white screen; two perfect little beings, clear as day. Then, to our amazement, we were able to actually SEE our babies’ hearts beating! I mean really, at 6 weeks, who gets to see that? God is so good. First we got to see them as embryos and now we get to see their hearts beat…we are so wonderfully and fearfully made. Halleluiah! 

          The doctor estimated that their hearts were beating over 120 beats per minute which is very good. Just to see those precious beans with healthy, strong, beating hearts still makes me cry. The doctor said that once you have seen a heartbeat, the chance of a full term pregnancy shoots to about 98%. Praise the Lord!
          Each baby measured at 3mm. I am astounded when I think about the reality of that. Here is this tiny human, no bigger than a nail head…and their heart is beating…WOW. 
 
Their computer said that based on my measurements I am at 6 weeks, which is right on target. The doctor told us that with twins, I may deliver early, so I expect to deliver in about 30 weeks. (I love phrasing time in weeks because it makes it seem so much shorter!).
          So embarrassing moment here: we brought up how painful my progesterone shots have been, so the doctor (who I just met for the first time) has me stand up and get my (naked) butt eye level with him so he can explain to my husband where to inject me…then he pulled out a pen and started drawing X’s on my butt to mark the spot!! I felt like I was getting marked for plastic surgery! So totally embarrassing! I don’t have much of a butt, and for some reason the nurses and doctors think this is a good reason to grab my lack of a but to prove how little is back there for shots! I keep hearing that once you give birth you lose a sense of modesty…waiting for that day!
          Every time we hit a milestone this miracle seems so much more real. Now we have actually seen these precious babies. I decided that I didn’t want to call them it so we have decided to call them Sweet Pea and Tug Boat. The next time I get to see the babies is the first week of July, my 9th week!
         

7 comments:

  1. I have been checking your blog since last night, waiting to hear the news. SO EXCITING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michell! Sorry for the delayed update, I was out all day yesterday. But thank you for checking in, we are ecstatic!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I popped over from the bump after seeing your encouraging post on the experience, my husband and I are dealing with severe MFI and this has become a very real possibility for us, we are going to go talk to my RE about this very soon :) I just read your whole blog and am so thankful for such a detailed step by step process which you documented, i didn't know much about what happens and I feel so much more educated and even more excited about starting the process!
    congratulations on the twin beans!!!!! i can't wait to follow the rest of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jessica,

      I am so glad to hear that I helped! My hope is that this blog will provide education and encouragement! I am sorry about your MFI, believe me, I understand. I believe that things will work out for you and hubby in some way and you will get the family your heart desires!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much! we know it will! no matter what, whether it comes from my tummy or someone else's and whether he/she is white, black, pink, blue, purple it doesn't matter, in the end we just want a family together and I know the big man upstairs is looking out for us and will provide one way or another! congrats to you again I look forward to reading your updates!!!!

    ReplyDelete