Friday, June 8, 2012

Pregnancy and the misadventures with food…



          Hmmm, I think that would make a pretty funny show on food network. That seems to be my life lately. It doesn’t help that I have been experiencing nausea since at least week 4 of pregnancy, and now it is in full swing, almost 24/7. The strange thing is that I am not vomiting (which would probably help ease the nausea, but really, who asks to vomit?).
          So I am really trying to eat healthy and regularly to ensure healthy baby and healthy mama. I am scouring the internet to find out what I should eat and what is dangerous to eat. The consensus seems to be that leafy greens are good and grilled chicken; thus, I decided to try and get salads when I meet my girlfriends for our weekly lunch. So there I am at Glory Day’s scanning the menu, wistfully gazing at the pulled pork and french fries, when I finally land on what sounds like an amazing grilled chicken salad.
          I am pretty ravenous by the time the salad arrives so I dig in and successfully eat half of it. As I stab my salad to eat the rest of it, I bring my fork up only to spot a piece of plastic mixed in with my lettuce! Eww!! Who knows where that plastic came from? And, because it was clear, it blended right in with my salad! So thank you Glory Days, you have officially ruined salads for me. I am now paranoid that there is some strange object lurking in any salad. Although, I must say, I am grateful that it wasn’t a band-aid!!!
          Next on the list of highly recommended foods was salmon. Not just any salmon, but fresh, wild caught salmon. What I read said that farm raised salmon had a higher mercury level. So I set off on my weekly grocery trip and boldly approached the seafood department. I saw a sign that said “fresh salmon, $6.99 a pound on sale” and I thought it was my lucky day; until I got closer and read the small print.
The sale salmon boasted the word fresh, but it was farm raised so that was out. Just my luck the saleswoman pointed out that they had some fresh, wild caught, never been frozen salmon. “Yay!” I thought, until I saw the price. It was $16.99 a pound! Oh my gosh! I have never even paid that for steak at the grocery store! But at this point, I figured I couldn’t show any weakness so I just smoothly asked for half a pound, which should cost around the same amount as a pound of the farm raised salmon. So she cut my measly half a pound and handed it to me.
 This thing was dinky! She had already wrapped it and put a price on it so I figured I had to just swallow my pride and take it.
          That night I showed it to my husband and informed him he would be having a “taste” of salmon for dinner sometime that week. It all got worse when the salmon needed to be cooked on a day that I closed at work, which meant husband had to cook it. Poor guy; it actually took longer to cook for some reason, so the side dish he had prepared got mushy. When it was finally cooked and we sat down to eat, we couldn’t take one bite without finding inch long bones! And I am telling you, it looked different, smelled different, and tasted different. The conclusion is that we do not like fancy wild caught, never frozen fish. We apparently like farm raised, frozen/thawed/frozen/thawed fish!
          Who out there has any suggestions for easing nausea? Also, what would you recommend as good pregnancy snacks to avoid empty stomach?

No comments:

Post a Comment