Thursday, October 17, 2013

Finally Received Our Medication Protocol (Oh Boy!)



            As of Monday, October 15th, I finally received my medication protocol, which tells me when to stop the BC pills, when to take estrogen, when to begin Lupron and when to begin the Progesterone shots. Funny, because you are supposed to receive your medication protocol by the 15th of the month prior to your cycle (mine is in November) so of course I received mine on the 15th. I actually emailed the IVF nurse the morning of the 15th because I still hadn’t received it; she had it to me within a few hours. I don’t actually begin any medications until the 23rd, so there technically was no rush. But as any of you infertility mama’s out there know, we are always excited and eager to get the next step. (Or maybe that is just me).
            This time around we know that we need a 23guage 1/2inch needle for the progesterone. Last time, it took us weeks of experimenting with longer needles and many bruises to figure this out. Hopefully, we get the shot location correct too. I remember that last time, for some unknown reason, besides my sheer laziness we never took the time to warm my skin prior so that the oil with the progesterone spread into the muscle easier. This too took some time to learn, with a few more weeks of knotted oil under my skin.
            So, this time around I am little older, a little wiser, and a little more tired (insert smiling but serious face here.) How do I feel about all of this? Perhaps slightly nervous about all the shots. I think a main concern is doing it right. This whole EA procedure seems a little fragile to me and I am so afraid I will do something wrong and jinx it; however, as I typed that sentenced, it was if God whispered to my heart, “but you are not in control, I AM.” Boy, I am so glad that is the truth. These babies that we have/will have are already known by God. He will call them into being as the time is right, regardless of if I don’t warm my skin before a shot, or massage it long enough after. I am so thankful that God is in control and He is waaaaaaay more qualified than me.
            For those of you wondering, here is the breakdown of my protocol:
·        On 10/23/13 I begin giving myself shots of Lupron
·        On 10/27/13 I stop taking my BC pills and should have a period
·        On 11/1/13 I go for my first ultrasound to check my endometrium lining and estradiol levels
·        On 11/2/13 I begin taking Estrogen through and beyond 11/15/13
·        On 11/15/13 I get my second ultrasound and Estradiol lab work before the transfer
·        On 11/16/13 I increase or decrease my Estrogen (based on the lab work) and begin receiving Progesterone shots and continue these until the transfer
After the transfer takes place I will continue the above medications until a pregnancy test; if positive, I will continue the protocol until 10-12 weeks of pregnancy (that is a long time!)

5 comments:

  1. It is always exciting to get your protocol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to say "thank you" for your helpfulness for me. I just discovered your blog yesterday. My husband and I are considering embryo adoption through the NEDC, and it has been helpful to read of your journey, the medication protocols involved, as well as your trust in God through the process. I will continue to "tune in" for updates, and I will be praying for you as you continue towards November and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maryrae, thank you for leaving that note :) It warms my heart to know that our story has helped anyone at all! I do hope that you and your husband settle on a decision, and the NEDC is a wonderful choice! No matter what you do, Trust God; Romans 8:28 reminds us that God will work all things for our good.....they just may not look like what we expect.

      Delete
  3. Hi cycle buddy! I am 2 days ahead of you in all your steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have only done this once before, but I have never had a cycle buddy lol. Kind of exciting!

      Delete