Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Medication Commencement



I had to take a regimen of birth control and estrogen before I went for the mock transfer. The birth control was to control when my next period would begin and the estrogen was to thicken my endometrium lining. They do this to see how your body will respond to the estrogen; how thick your lining gets. This determines how much estrogen you need to take for the actual transfer. They had a student shadowing Dr. Keenan, and of course I said it was fine for her to be present. What I didn’t know was that she would be doing the procedures with guidance. The problem was that it took a long time with her and was painful because she didn’t know what she was doing. I always forget to take ibuprofen beforehand like they tell me to. So I had a lot of pain and bleeding afterwards. But it is ALL worth it! The good news is that my endometrium lining was shockingly thick and Dr. Keenan was excited about that!
Soon I will begin the regimen of shots and doctors’ visits while I prepare my body for babies. I was sent home taking estrogen and progesterone to “wean” my body off the estrogen. Then I had a 3 day period, during which I had to begin birth control to keep me from ovulating until my transfer in November. The downsides to the medications are cost and side effects. My insurance doesn’t cover anything on the progesterone, so that is $200 per order, with 6 refills! Yikes! And all the medications have a ton of side effects, the worst of which are tiredness, headaches, and nausea.
I received my box of meds in the mail yesterday and now I simply await my “protocol” from the NEDC. It should arrive by the 15th. I am not looking forward to shots again, but I know what they are for, and that makes it all so much easier. We also have to find a local fertility clinic to monitor my lining and such before the transfer and afterwards.
So here we are, on the cusp of pregnancy once again and I am so excited. Please pray for us. Pray for the thawing process to go well, pray I respond well to the medications, pray for Dr. Keenan and Carol the embryologist, pray that we have a successful pregnancy again!
Thanks for tuning in!

9 comments:

  1. How exciting! Abel and Belle were transferred in the 2010 November cycle. Can't believe that was almost 3 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 3 years! Goes by so fast doesnt it? My husband loves the name Abel!

      Delete
  2. Yay! Great news...and I hope this means you will be posting more once again!

    Are you open to having a total of nine children if all goes well, or did I misread that? Just curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, apparently I can't read and you may have already said this...but if all goes well, what's the earliest you could be pregnant again? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bren! I do hope to post more. Honestly, I have a ton to say, just not a lot of free time to write it :( Lately any free time on the computer has been spent working from home.
      The reality is that we could have up to 4 embroys put into my uterus at once. Or just one, or sadly, none. And then it is up to God. So there is no telling how many children we could have this go around. But i am open to how ever many God would give us. After going so long thinking we would never have children, I can only find joy in thinking I may have another multiples pregnancy. The health risk is obviously higher, but I trust the Lord! :) So we go in November for the actual transfer, so the earliest I would have a confirmed pregnancy would be the middle of the first week of December!!!

      Delete
  4. Exciting! Did you get your protocol yet? I also have a transfer at NEDC and mine is November 20th! Looks like we may be cycle buddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! how exciting! I received my protocol Monday! :) I just checked out your blog and it says your transfer date is 11/22, not the 20th... :( did you just get the dates wrong?

      Delete
    2. Oh my! Yes, I did! What a silly mistake!! Thanks, I've corrected it!

      Delete
    3. We are scheduled for November 19, but if our 4 multicell babies do not survive the thaw (or not enough) we will be moved to November 20. Not that I do not want to see you ;) but I do hope to remain on the 19th as that would mean less babies were lost.

      Delete