Sunday, November 24, 2013

Our 2013 Frozen Embryo Transfer is Complete!



This past Tuesday, 11/19/13, we had our second transfer! We arrived in TN on Sunday evening and relaxed with friends. It is always so nice to see our TN family; our friends there truly are family to us. Monday was a beautiful day, sunny and in the 60’s outside. A lovely friend of ours did a family photo shoot for us and she took some amazing photos! Half of the time Monday my mind was preoccupied with our 10 m/o twins, and it felt like any other day. Then I would suddenly remember that our transfer was the next day and get a flurry of excitement! I tend to detach from emotional situations…so I wasn’t nervous or anxious. 

I think that it helped that I had been through this transfer before; I knew what to expect. Tuesday morning rolled around and I was psyched! Last time our appointment was at 7:30am, so it was brutal. This time though, our appointment was at 10:15am so we didn’t have to arrive until 9:45am. This was so nice. We slept in a little, had coffee (decaf of course) and even swung by Chick Fi La. It was a leisure morning.

 I have learned, after 3 ultrasound appointments at the NEDC that I have a small bladder and do not have to drink quite so much! Thankfully I learned this and only drank a small percentage of what they asked. But just so you know, my bladder was FULL and it hurt! In fact, my bladder was so full they told me to go empty it some! I was much obliged! **Just a note here, do not follow my actions; drink what they tell you to! They told me I was the first patient all morning that had a full enough bladder. If you are not full enough they will insert a catheter into your bladder and fill it. It is painful. So please follow their directions**

Medication protocol dictated that I take 600mg ibuprofen, 1 albuterol and 10mg valium…That kicked my but this time! Even with eating breakfast right before I took it! In 15 minutes I was wobbly and felt a little out of it. The point is to be relaxed, and I guess I was! Dr. Keenan and Carol, the embryologist, came in to see us. They told us that they had thawed our 4 remaining multicell embryos and that 3 had survived! 2 were top quality (rating 1 out of 5) and 1 was lower quality (rating 4 out of 5). This was the exact same setup as 2012! We had 3 embryos survive the thaw and they were of the same quality! And we ended up with beautiful twins.

The actual transfer went quickly. The worst parts are the ultrasound wand being pressed onto your full bladder, and the alcohol swab they sterilize you inside and out with. It hasn’t ceased to amaze me to watch that catheter, holding life, slide through my cervix and into my womb! Afterwards, they tell you to rest and not lift for 24hrs. It was more difficult this time because of the twins. But it was a nice rest. I was so loopy, I left my cell phone at the place we had lunch at!

Within 24hrs I felt a “twinge” on 1 side, and I felt 2 twinges with the twins. It was way too soon for implantation I believe but it was exciting! I have had a good amount of cramping, and I just recently started to be nauseous…a lot. Woohoo! I will let you all know as soon as I find anything out!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Can't wait to hear more-I hope you get a great beta number again this time!

    ReplyDelete